Out and About Dress by Sew Caroline

What a fun and super easy pattern to sew!

I purchased the Out and About Dress from the Sew Caroline website and printed it out in PDF format. The pattern took me approximately 30 minutes to cut out and piece together, with another 20-25 minutes to scale and cut out to my sizing.

– Sizing –

I am typically a size 2 in ready-to-wear and cut a size small. In the future, I have plans to draft the pattern a little smaller in the waist and shorten the bodice by an inch.

– Fabric –

This pattern would be SO cute in a patterned knit! I chose a gray Ponte knit that I stocked up on when our local Hancock Fabrics went out of business. My fabric was exceptionally wide (60″+) which was pretty awesome – I used only about 2 yards and still have an entire yard left over!

Shadetree Seamstress Sew Caroline Out and About Dress Long Sewing Pattern Review

– Sewing –

Sewing this was VERY easy! I have to mention that I am fairly upset with myself as the side seams don’t actually line up and I would have extended the sleeves just a bit. I used the serger for about 90% of the construction of this dress; for the other 10%, I used my sewing machine to baste/gather the fabric for the front and the back of the skirt.

– Pattern Alterations/Changes –

My arms tend to be on the larger side for my size. Instead of drafting the pattern from the armhole up, I chose to use the larger size (Medium) sleeve pattern piece and put a cute little tuck in the shoulder seam of the sleeve. This allows a little more room in the shoulder and a little more contrast.

I also omitted the pockets by simply sewing the side seams together. I know this is counter-intuitive to all things comfy, but I wasn’t feeling the pockets in this length dress. Perhaps I’ll add them in on another version!

Additionally, I added elastic stabilization to the shoulder seams and also to the waist. In several reviews I read prior to sewing the pattern, the mention of the weight of the waist drooping over time may occur. Adding this extra stabilization will lessen that.

– The Test: Will I Wear It?! and Will I Make it Again?! –

Absolutely I will! I have already worn it quite a few times, including all-day to my MOPS meeting.

I already have plans to make the dress again as the shorter version; however, I plan to draft the front pattern piece wider at the bottom and the back bodice pattern piece more narrow at the bottom to line the seams up as the back bodice seam is currently skewing forward.

Tiffany is an avid sewists who loves to collect fabric and sewing patterns. Although there simply isn't enough time in the day to complete all of her sewing dreams, she is working on her make-list one piece at a time.